Monday 22 June 2009

Training ... end of

I was doing so well and surviving the process of planning lessons, teaching lessons, doing grammer homework, being eternally punctual but in the end it was not enough. I had no sleep for hours on end and was getting more and more miserable.

I got to the end of the week and we looked at my scores from the practice students and they were simply not good enough in one crucial area. In order to teach using the Vaughan method, you have to be really strict, very energetic and very demanding ie keep firing questions at them and making them sweat. This style of teaching is more like coaching. I could do it but not in a week of training and not with no sleep so we agreed to go our separate ways. I do see it as a positive experience however as I now know myself that little bit better. I am a good teacher but in my own style. So now I am looking for somewhere else to teach in Madrid and I have a week or so to do it. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Debbie, sorry I'm just catching up with your blog - things have been so hectic here with lots of choices to make in terms of my language courses, so I've been researching.

    I'm so sorry VaughanTown wasn't for you - it sounds an absolutely horrendous method and very demanding of teachers and students alike.

    I agree you need to be able to develop your own way, and look forward to following your progress with great interest.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive