Wednesday 27 January 2010

Maty in Madrid


It's carnaval time (apparently)!
There is a landmark store in Madrid called Maty where you can buy or hire your costumes for fiestas, carnaval and any other occasion. It is close to El Corte Ingles in Sol and its windows are a irresistible attraction to me. Last Sunday I was bedazzled by the latest offerings. Maty has the scariest selection of shop dummies I have ever seen. The little people are frankly weird. There is something disturbing about their made up faces and lopsided wigs. Add a provocative pose, eager expresseion and a tawdry costume and you can see where I am coming from.
Shop window displays fascinate me and say a lot about the culture of a city. The windows in London are so sophisticated in comparison. Here you will see windows that cram every type of product within. Shoe shops are like I remember them and have are wall-to-wall boxes in size order inside. There are windows full of pyjamas and dressing gowns at the moment, thermal underwear (reversable polar tights look interesting), knitwear and costume jewellery. And most shops have their rebajas right now because it is January and times are hard.

1 comment:

  1. On the radio this morning there was a woman (a nursery nurse!) with a phobia of dolls - I can see where she's coming from with these shop dummies.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive