Tuesday 18 May 2010

Art in Lavapies

An artist's flat in Lavapies

It was my final weekend in Madrid and there was free art, theatre, music and dance in one of the most vibrant areas of the city and so I made the most of it. The art was amazing. Two whole days of open studios and flats belonging to some amazingly talented artists. For the sum of five euros we were able to explore amazing spaces - mainly top floor apartments in blocks without lifts - and meet some great artists. This event happens every year and deserves wider support. I was truly inspired and now want an artist's flat overlooking the roofs of Lavapies. If only I could transport my south east flat from London ...

On Sunday it was Europe Day and there was plenty of entertainment on the streets to keep us amused. A particular favourite was the Polish breakdancing trio who were crowd pleasers.

I loved sitting in the sun with my friends, watching the Spanish perritos and ninos. I love this area and I am not surprised that it is so popular with English teachers. If you want a curry or anything with a bit of real spice, this is where it is at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive